Friday, June 16, 2006

Let me hear you say 'Om'

Lately, I've been trying to get more in touch with my creative side. One of the things I've been trying is creative visualization. Normally, I don't go for any of that New Age-y sort of thing but I kind of got hooked on that "Starting Over" show and this is the sort of thing they do. Basically, it's focused concentration on a specific goal combined with positive thinking, meditation, and affirmations. I'm supposed to set a goal, tell myself I can do it, and voila, I'll somehow be able to, just by using my mind. Riiight.

As you can tell, I'm a little bit of a skeptic but I'm willing to give it a shot. (Except for the meditation. Not so crazy about that yet.) One of the first things you have to do is develop a statement of purpose. It's supposed to be an expression of your biggest, best want. I thought I'd share mine here, if for no other reason than to give you a laugh. Enjoy.


I want to be a writer. I want to write poems, whole books of them. I want to write stories and paper the world with them. I want to write a novel, and then another, and then another. I want to see my name in lights, even if they're only metaphorical. I want to start a punk rock writer revolution. Justin is going to be our leader. I want to create using the simplest tools, the blank page and my imagination. I want to weave art out of thin air, to transform the intangible. I want to seduce you with my words, leading you along like a pied piper. I want to write this book. I want to finish it. I want to send it out into the world, knowing I did the best I could.

I want to do this.

I need to do this.

I can do this.

And I won't rest until I do.

Some people would call it delusions of grandeur. I call it my dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home