Thursday, June 08, 2006

A book meme

In response to my post about bookstores, Jeff has tagged me with a Favorite Books Meme, so here goes:







Total number of books I own:

Officially, the ones I was able to count totaled 700. This doesn't include the boxes in the attic, the boxes of books I left at my parents' house, or all the books I've loaned out to people that I haven't gotten back yet. As for how many of these books I've actually read? Waaayyy less than that. (See, I kind of have a library addiction too, so I tend to read those books first.)


Last book(s) you purchased:

Yesterday, I bought three Chuck Palahniuk books: Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and Fight Club. Now the only book of his I don't have is Haunted, which I have read and definitely recommend. ( If it's not totally obvious, I have a little bit of a thing for Chuck Palahniuk.)


Last book you read:

Coyote Blue, by Christopher Moore. This past month, I also read all three of Sara Gran's books, The Dog of the Marriage, by Amy Hempel, My Life in Heavy Metal, by Steve Almond, The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, by George Saunders, The Difference Between Women and Men, by Bret Lott, The Secret Society of Demolition Writers, ed. by Marc Parent, The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, by a 40-year-old woman posing as a teenage male prostitute (Yeah, I'm still bitter about that one), and The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. That last one is in really small print for a reason. I have a reputation to protect here, people.


Five books that are important to me:

Just five? Geez, that makes it harder.

Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak. One of my favorite books when I was little, along with all of Shel Silverstein's books.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy. I read this in high school and absolutely fell in love with it. This, along with Pride and Prejudice, are why I love the classics.

The Dead and the Living, by Sharon Olds. The reason why I fell in love with poetry.

Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk. For obvious reasons.

The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Don't ask me why I love this book. All I know is that for the past four years running, I've read it every summer and this summer looks to be no different.


Who I'd like to respond:

Anyone who reads this, I'm not picky. I'm always interested to see what kind of books other people read. My list is, er, varied, so I'm curious to see if anyone shares my tastes.

2 Comments:

Blogger SarahJane said...

Hi,
Liked your questions and answers.
1. I don't know how many books I own. I'm also not much of a quantifier.
2. Last books are purchased are Elaine Equi's "The Clous of Unknowable Things," and "Homage to the Lame Wolf," the poems of Vasko Popa. They haven't arrived yet (Amazon).
3. I must admit it was pulp fiction - "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen, an "airplane book" my mother left at my house. She cried with laughter trying to explain one scene to me so I figured, why not.
4. 5 books that are important to me: Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson, the complete poems of ee cummings, Websters New Universal Unabridged Dictionary, Chuang Tzu and The Collected Works of Billy the Kid by Michael Ondaatje.

thanks!

6/09/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Wow, those are good answers. I'll have to be sure to check some of those out. Thanks for stopping by!

6/09/2006 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home