Saturday, June 03, 2006

On being a woman

This is a something I just started working on. It's not finished yet but I thought it might be fun to see what people think.


Why it's awesome:

  • Well, for starters, the clothes are much prettier
  • And the accessories are better
  • And did I mention the shoes?
  • Because we're strong, even if we don't know it
  • And our bodies were built for the ultimate test of strength: pregnancy
  • All the best art is about us. Throughout history, women have been responsible for the inspiration and creation of some of the world's great masterpieces.
  • Probably because we look so much better naked
  • Because we can speak our minds
  • And because we can be damn funny
  • Because sometimes, we're the ones who save the day
  • Because our writing is so full of passion
  • And because we keep going, even when it's hard
  • Because statistically, I'm going to live longer
  • Because of men who make us laugh
  • And ones who make us think


Why sometimes it sucks:

  • Because even though the clothes are the prettier, they're not always comfortable
  • Same goes for the shoes
  • Because we don't always have the best role models
  • Because there's so much pressure to look like this
  • And so many of us buy into it
  • Because it's naturally assumed that we all love: cooking, cleaning, sewing, baking, etc. I can do none of these things, nor do I care to, thank you very much
  • Because we get blamed for everything
  • And even though we're free to speak our minds
  • There are always consequences
  • And sometimes we have to fight so much harder for what we believe in
  • Because of men who think they know what's best for us
  • And women who agree
  • Because our birth control is so much more expensive
  • And because we're expected to want to have children. I have nothing against children, women who have children, or women who want children. I do not so please, get off my back.
  • Because there is always someone who underestimates us

This is what I have so far. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger writingblind said...

I dig Dorothy Parker. She was one of the original literary bad girls.

Thanks for checking me out, I'll be sure to return the favor.

6/03/2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger Moncrief Speaks said...

Great list! And you linked to me! :)

6/03/2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger litlove said...

I'd like to add a few positives:

Because we have girl friends whom we couldn't do without.
Because we're really good at noticing exactly what's going on.

And a negative:
Our tolerance level is quite low.

Great list, though!

6/04/2006 1:50 AM  
Blogger Voix said...

Good start. I wrote a list called "how to be a girl" -- the link is on my sidebar.

Another link! I feel so special!

6/04/2006 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home