Saturday, July 29, 2006

27 Things

Because it's Saturday and because I'm tired and because I can't think of anything really profound to write, I have another list for you. This one is 27 completely random things about me because really, you can't get enough of me, I'm sure. Why 27 things, you ask? Because I'm 27 and I'm really not very good at being clever. And did I mention I'm tired?

27 Seemingly Innocuous Random Things. About Me.

1. I do really stupid things. For example, when I was 18, I got a tattoo that covers the entire upper half of my left arm. A word to anyone considering this: don't. Tattoos are permanent. PER-MA-NENT. When you're 18, they're sexy. When you're 80, not so much.

2. I am not as smart as people think I am. I can tell you any random, useless fact about anything but when it comes to politics or current events, I haven't got a clue.

3. Despite the fact that I know pretty much nothing, I still like to act like a know-it-all.

4. When I was 14, I stole a car and ran away from home. I slept on the beach for two weeks. I ran from the cops. I shoplifted. I begged for money. Then I got caught. That was the peak of my brief history as a bad girl. (Again, a word to anyone considering this: don't. Jail is cold. And they take your shoelaces so you won't hang yourself.)

5. When people meet me, they always think I'm a stoner. I have never done a single drug in my life. I'm actually very much against them so I'm not sure why I give off this vibe.

6. I love music and I'm constantly reshuffling the soundtrack of my life. I can listen to the same five songs over and over and never get tired of them. My current top five are: Linger, by the Cranberries; Breathe, by Anna Nalick; Over My Head, by the Fray; The Scientist and Trouble, by Coldplay. Yes, I like Coldplay. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

7. I'm not really sure if I want to be a writer or not. I don't call myself a writer; I'm not sure I'm any good at it. But I don't know what else I'm supposed to be doing.

8. I am deathly afraid of snakes. Deathly. Afraid. I can't even look at pictures of them.

9. I am superstitious, bordering on obsessive-compulsive. I'm one of those people who thinks that if I'm careful enough, cautious enough, I can avoid disaster.

10. I'm always afraid disaster is waiting around every corner. I've never had anything really bad happen to me, nothing that I couldn't survive. This makes me worry about the future.

11. I tell people that I never want to get married. This is a lie. I want the white wedding and the cake and the ring and all that other crap. Mostly, I just want to know that I won't have to do it alone.

12. But I'm not very good at trusting people so I'm not sure if it will work.

13. I like to talk, mostly about myself.

14. But I really don't think I have much to say.

15. I'm terrible at keeping secrets, even my own. I have only one secret that I've never told anyone and never will. But I think about it every day.

16. Whenever people compliment me, in the back of my head, I'm always thinking, you are so, so wrong.

17. I always make jokes to cover up the fact that I really don't like myself very much.

18. I'm completely unreliable. I've lost many friends over this.

19. I'm the clumsiest person on earth. I have absolutely no sense of balance or grace.

20. I'm also very impatient. I hate surprises. I want everything now, now, now. I hate waiting.

21. I feel more sympathy for animals than I do people. I once ran over a squirrel and cried about it for a week but I can't muster this same emotion for people.

22. I am very, very jaded. I'm not sure how I got this way.

23. I wear glasses. And I'm right-handed.

24. I can be very lazy. And most of the time, I am.

25. I worry that I'm wasting my life.

26. But I don't know what to do about it.

27. I just don't want to fail.

18 Comments:

Blogger Rand said...

27 fascinating things. Loved the story of you stealing a car at 14 and going to jail (I'm sure it's more fun to tell the story than it was to experience it.)

That sounds like one big tattoo! I have to say that is a surprise. What does the tattoo depict?

I'm right handed and wear glasses (well, usually contacts) and I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Coldplay. We could start a club.

7/29/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Quinn said...

I like Coldplay. Can I join?

It's easier to have sympathy for animals, I think. They don't choose to be rude, insensitive shits.

7/29/2006 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They don't choose to be rude, insensitive shits."

I see that you've never owned a cat.

7/29/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Quinn said...

Oh, no, I've had cats since I was in Jr High. Maybe they've just been unnaturally cuddly. Have had my current cat, Keko for almost 18 years - literally since she was born. When she's nasty it's usually because of something I did ... like try to give her a bath because she likes to sleep under my Jeep and roll around in the oil slick there.

7/30/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Rand, yeah, it's way more fun to tell it than it was to live it. People never believe me when I tell them though. I guess I don't seem like I'm capable of something like that. Maybe one day I'll post a picture of the tattoo so you can see.

Quinn, of course you can join. I like Coldplay but whenever you tell people that they just roll their eyes at you for some reason. I don't get it.

Fringes, cats are EVIL! Just my opinion, though.

7/30/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

See, I would have run it over just to kill it. I really hate snakes and I don't even know why. I think it's because my mom is so afraid of them, it wore off on me.

So we're up to what, four, in the Coldplay fan club now? Awesome.

7/30/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

When the animal man comes to my school I walk the other way and pretend to be really, really interested in whatever is right on the other side of the room from the boa constrictor. No one yet has noticed how much snakes scare me.

7/30/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Jemima, (may I call you that?) welcome. You have a right nifty blog if you don't mind me saying so. I'm glad I'm not alone in the snake-hating. I hate the way they look, the way they move, everything. I'm getting freaked out just thinking about it right now.

7/30/2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

I liked reading this very much. We have 3, 11, 12, 16, 17, 23 - 27 in common. I thought I didnt have anything in common with anyone. You learn something new everyday! I hope youre doing well.

7/30/2006 11:37 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Willowtree, I guess we're not as alone as we think we are. I hope you too are doing well.

7/30/2006 11:41 PM  
Blogger briliantdonkey said...

wow I can agree with a lot of those esPECIALLY the snakes. I have a very VERY unhealthy fear of snakes. People always say , "most snakes aren't poisonous" or "they wont hurt you" okayyyyy good for them. It isn't really the poison that scares me or even the thought of the snake hurting me that bothers me about them. It is more the fear of the damage I will cause myself trying to get away from them. THAT is the real danger. Others that we have in common. 1,5, 7,11(though the dress part I would look particularly odd in)16,17,17,17, 19,25,26,27

I am NOT superstitious though. I just happen to notice trends is all. Superstitions are silly! If I am watching my Redsox in the living room and they are winning but start doing badly when I move to the bedroom , I notice that trend and go back to the LR. Trends is all ,,,,backed by scientific facts and surveys. NOT silly superstitions. lol

Nice blog thanks for the list

Rob

7/31/2006 2:40 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Rob, snakes are EVIL! Just like cats. Based on the ones we have in common, I'm starting to believe we may have been separated at birth. And then I see you're a Red Sox fan. I'm a Yankees fan. Does this mean we can't be friends?

7/31/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Jim Wilkins said...

Snakes are not evil, just your perception of the snake as evil is erroneous.

The only one that fails is the one that never tries. And from your interview and your blog you are doing well. I would have escalated the scoring scale, but being a Yankees fan has raised some serious concerns. LOL

7/31/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

The Yankees are really jerking my chain this season. It's almost enough to make me a Twins fan or something.

7/31/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Jim Wilkins said...

Almost? What up with that? Go for the best there is. And Yankees are not the best, even if they have the highest salaries.
The Twins are for real, just like the Packers! They both play because they love the game.

7/31/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

I think I'll always be a Yankees fan, despite what people say about them. I used to be a Braves fan, which is almost as bad, so maybe I just have crappy taste. As for football, I'm more of a Bengals fan myself but I like the Packers too.

7/31/2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Jim Wilkins said...

I used to be a Braves fan, but that was before your time. They left Milwaukee and moved to Atlanta. Does that age me? Yep! But I still remember the last Braves game I went to. I was something like 13 or 14. And when the Twins play Atlanta, I always remember and make sure I make my voice heard for the Twins.

So you have moved up by trading in the Braves for the Yankees. You are making progress! And moving in the right direction.

7/31/2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Maybe I'll be an Astros fan. They got all the best ex-Yankees pitchers anyway.

7/31/2006 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home