Wednesday, July 19, 2006

More blogging about blogging

There's been a lot of discussion lately about internal editing and self-censorship when it comes to blogging. Part of the debate has been focused on how much of yourself you share on your blog and what things you hold back. For my own part, there is pretty much nothing I won't talk about here, much to the chagrin of you, dear readers, because my life is pretty much an open book. I wear my heart, my thoughts, my emotions on my sleeve and I don't censor or restrict that in any way here.

As I've said before, there is no real rhyme or reason to this blog. I don't post with any kind of regularity and I never know what I'm going to say here. If I had to categorize myself, I'd label this a writer's blog because I do write about my experiences with writing fiction and poetry but there's a lot more to it than that. I've written about my mother and my father, things that happened to me growing up, what I want for the future, seemingly random lists, the occasional meme, and pretty much everything in between. This blog is not so much about writing as it is writing, does that make sense? It's my practice space, I guess you could call it, but everything written here comes from an honest and true place. (Jesus, that sounds corny, doesn't it?)

I think part of what makes blogging so appealing is the fact that you can make yourself into anyone you want to be. Blogging allows you to show only the sides of your personality that you want people to see. On a blog, you can be witty, funny, clever, thoughtful, heartfelt, sincere, intelligent, or any number of things that you may not be in real life. You can say things that maybe you wouldn't normally say, tell all your secrets, reveal your fears, your flaws, your failures. And the best part is, no one will know it's you unless you tell them.

I'm always curious about bloggers who don't post their picture, even though I'm one of them. I always wonder about the face behind the words, whether it will meet my expectations. (Bookfraud, I'm talking to you.) I know some people probably don't post their picture because people they know may read their blog. Some may just prefer the freedom that anonymity provides. Some, like me, think they are not fit to be seen by the public. But in the spirit of revealing all, and because blogging is by nature somewhat narcissistic, I've decided to lift the veil, for today at least. Who knows, maybe it will encourage others to reveal a little more of themselves on their blogs. Or you could all tell me to put a bag over my head. It's a risk I'm willing to take.




Scroll down.......

17 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This blog is not so much about writing as it is writing, does that make sense?
Perfect sense!

And I know what you mean about being whoever you want to be in a sense. I don't know why I don't post my picture ... Anonyminity - we are a small country (only 4 million people - less than a large overseas city) and the city I live in is an extremely small palce too - I'd hate someone I didn't know to recognise me on a bus and say "Hey I know you! You're that blogger." Yerks!!! It gives me the shudders just thinking about that!

BTW I like your photo - you're very pretty.

7/20/2006 4:18 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I prefer to keep my identity somewhat of a secret so my family doesn't happen upon some of the things I say about them. That and I don't want some stalker to take an interest in my family, or some anger nut coming after me. I could be found just the same I think if someone took a mind to.

As for your picture, I was surprised. You talk yourself down too much. The talk doesn't match the beautiful woman pictured below.

7/20/2006 7:37 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Chiefbiscuit, there's very little chance of anyone I know reading this. All I have to fear now is Internet stalkers. But like I said, I love nerds.

Scott, surprised, huh? That's what I was trying to get at with this post, is that you never know what someone is really like unless you have a face to go with their words. Now I'll be curious as to what you thought I would look like.

7/20/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm much more showy on my other blog. thelibraryladder was just to be a reading record but I was thinking that I wanted to try my hand at pieces of writing..poetry maybe...we'll see.

Heather
www.thelibraryladder.blogspot.com
&
www.orangeblossomgoddess.blogspot.com

7/20/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

I don't think I've ever been to your other blog but now I'll have to visit. As for writing poetry, I say go for it. Today's Poetry Thursday prompt is to write a sex poem. Want to give it a try? The poem, I mean. Obviously.

7/20/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I thought brunette and not so well kept. Possibly a nose ring or some such. I hope this is not offensive...

So I will explain. The picture I got was because you tend to throw out something beautiful, then trash it at the same time. My mental picture formed of someone who has been burnt many times, and people like that tend to dress down, do things on purpose to make themselves look less attractive, perpetuating a low self image. From your picture, I see something completely different. I get that you don't feel low about yourself, only about your writing. Two different things that I put together. Know what I mean?

7/20/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Again with the dark hair, what is that? I have this really dark personality and this sort of sunshine-y outside so I can see why you would have thought that. I've sort of made a promise to someone that I'll stop being like that (trashing stuff I mean) so maybe your mental image of me will match the picture one day.

7/20/2006 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought about the profile photo part of blogging before, but now that you've shown your face, I would say that it is a good thing. In one swoop, you've made your blog 100X more personal and intimate by sharing that with us. It's as if you said, "I trust you."

7/20/2006 4:39 PM  
Blogger Quinn said...

Well, as long as you refrain from calling anyone who might be lurking on your blog a "twit", I think you should never have anything to worry about.

7/20/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Neil, I trust you all not to make fun of me to my face, how's that? :P

Quinn, I hate to say it but I laughed my ass off when I read that comment on Bookfraud's blog. Seriously. Laughed. My. Ass. Off. For like ten minutes. But don't worry, that just endears you to me that much more.

7/20/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Quinn said...

oh, he came and put comments on my blog first. We think he was trolling the web, Googling himself. Either that or he heard about me from someone -

7/21/2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger Mella said...

This blog is not so much about writing as it is writing, does that make sense?

I hope so...I think this is where my blog falls too. Somewhere in the space between actually accomplishing something worth reading - and not. A practice space. A venting space. A space to spill out everything and not clean up anything.

Congrats on coming out of the closet, so to speak. Shirking off anonymity - Bold move.

7/21/2006 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're talkin' to me? you...talking...to...me?

i must respond(sans picture).

you raise some interesting points (per usual). i don't publish my picture for several reasons: i don't want to be associated with being a fiction writer at my full-time job; plus, i look like one of trainees on "the dog whisperer."

i don't feel like i would be less forthcoming about things if my face was attached to my blog. in any case, i try to make the blog about writing, filtered through my experience, rather than about me (however futile that effort may be to separate the two). i try not to make the blog about me, another reason for no picture, locale, etc.

i don't hide my blog from friends -- i'm shameless about promoting it, in fact. i will post my pic as soon as my book deal comes in. which should be 2064, my 100th birthday.

and quinn, keep up the good work. everybody loves a good cyberflamewar.

7/21/2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Quinn, what a weirdo. If he shows up here, I'm personally going to kick your ass.

Mella, welcome. I've been reading your blog for so long and love every word you write.

Bookfraud, first, "dog whisperer"? What exactly does that look like? I get your point about not posting your picture. My blog, unfortunately, is all about me because um...well, I don't know why. I couldn't think of anything else to make it about. Second, 2064? It better happen before that because I could be dead by then. And Quinn is doing a great job isn't he? And the "local twit" seemed so nice about it too. That's what made it so funny I think.

7/21/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I have fired my internal editor when it comes to writing. Self censorship is deadly to the art of poetry. Revision is a different animal altogether.

I don't censor myself on my blog either. My blog is my playground and mine alone. I say what I want. If someone doesn't like it, all they have to do is click out. I'm not aiming to gain readers or hits. It's where I practice. It's where I play. I figure the people who read it are voyeurs, like me. They like looking in.

7/21/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/21/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

And that's exactly why I love your blog, because it's so perfectly you.

7/21/2006 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home