Friday, July 21, 2006

My life in heavy metal

Today, Fringes put up a post describing the kind of music she liked to listen to and the reactions said music tended to generate. She included a list of some of her favorite songs and then asked her readers to list some of their favorite inner-dork songs. It's inspired me to tell you a little about my musical tastes, despite the fact that it may just give you another reason to laugh at me.

Judging by some of the responses to these posts, it seems that most of you thought I was some sort of punk rock grunge goth girl with black hair and a nose ring, walking around in combat boots and torn fishnets. Apparently, you all think I'm one of those people who listens to eighties throwback bands like the Cure or the Smiths and walk around bemoaning the general pissiness of the world while contemplating my next tattoo.

Eh....not so much.

While I do have a tattoo (two, actually) I'm not a big fan of piercings or the Cure. I don't own any combat boots or fishnets and I don't think I'd look that great with black hair. Today, my favorite music is decidedly non-mainstream but not too weird. Rufus Wainwright, Damien Rice, Eels, Sia, Jem, Doves, Scissor Sisters. (By the way, if you're not listening to any of these artists, then you don't know what you're missing.)

This is a far cry from what I used to listen to. When I was younger, I was really into hair bands. Yes, yes, I know. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was a child of the 80's and as such, it was pretty much required that I either be a metalhead or a new waver. I didn't get Devo. But spandex pants and big hair? That was something I could relate to. My grandma didn't get it. I remember her picking up one of my records and looking at the cover. I think it was Poison's "Look What the Cat Dragged In". She looked at it for a second and then said, "Are these boys or girls?" Needless to say, my grandma did not know how to rock.

The basic rule of thumb for liking these kinds of bands was not the quality of the music but the cuteness of its members. The better looking they were, the more likely I was to buy whatever crap album they put out. Musical talent was irrelevant in the face of black leather pants and a hairy chest. The guys wanted to be them and the girls wanted to be with them. What did it matter if they couldn't carry a tune?

I think it wasn't even the music so much as it was my love of rock stars, which persists to this day. I don't know what it is about them. Maybe it's the attitude, maybe it's the tattoos. Maybe it's still just the tight pants. My current rock star crush is Rob Zombie. Yes, that Rob Zombie. I know what you're thinking. Wow, she has good taste. What can I say? I like them rough around the edges, sort of dangerous. And it doesn't hurt that his music absolutely kicks ass. He's the hottest 40-year-old around in my opinion.

As for my list of inner-dork songs, it would have to include any and all of those 1980s power ballad, metal songs. When I hear them on the radio, I instantly feel silly and swoony all at once, remembering those long-ago infatuations. These songs always make me smile and of course, I still sing along. When I see these guys on TV, usually on VH1, which seems to be a haven for washed-up rock stars, I feel a little sad. The most crushing blow was when I realized that a lot of these guys wear wigs. (Paul Stanley, I'm talking to you.) Still, to quote Dee Snider, I wanna rock. And I plan to until I drop dead or my artificial hip gives out, whichever comes first.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! My grammie never understood heavy metal either. My bands of choice were Motley Crue and Aerosmith, both of which are still in heavy rotation on today's soundtrack.

Also, I am wearing my Eels T-shirt today. Synchronicity city!

7/21/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Ooh, that's just spooky. And I was a big Aerosmith fan too.

7/21/2006 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it's a generational thing, but i am devoted to the ultimate nerd band, devo, whose concert appearance was the all-time-life-highlight for my non-sexed, 16-year-old loser existence.

as i trundle through middle age, my inner dork songs are from people like ella fitzgerald, sinatra, and dead white males composers with german surnames. my inner dork has taken over my outer shell.

i still would have like to have seen you with combat boots, torn fishnets, and nose rings. and red hair.

7/21/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

What's with the red hair? You know, I actually dyed it red about a month ago. I should have taken a picture for you.

7/21/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Yes!! I didn't want to name names but you know exactly what I'm talking about. I think I'll have to go find a cigarette lighter and wave it in the air while swaying gently.

7/21/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Metal rules! LOL Rob Zombie is a favorite of mine. Have you listed to his newest Educated Horses? If so, what the hell is the song "Foxy Foxy" about and what are educated horses? The song makes me thinks educated horses is some sort of sexual reference.

Glad you liked the Rome pictures. I like the pictures of you.

7/21/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Oh, and I didn't know that about Paul Stanley!

7/21/2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Remember the Twisted Sister videos with that detention teacher? "What do you want to do with your life!!!"

7/21/2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Quinn said...

See, for a while it was Dokken, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, White Snake, Def Leppard, Armored Saint . . . and then I discovered New Order and MTV's 120 Minutes - I went alternative because, well, I couldln't have anything - and I mean anything - in common with the jocks who wanted to kick my ass.

7/21/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Gerald, yes, I have Educated Horses. I've listened to it about a million times. I think it is a sex thing, "Foxy, Foxy." I think it's that girl moaning in the background, asking "Can you work it harder?" that tipped me off.

And yes, Paul Stanley does wear a wig. I think everyone in KISS does actually. Justin may kick my ass for blasphemy now.

Quinn, see I could never get into 120 Minutes. I always liked Headbangers Ball. Then Pearl Jam came along and I stopped listening to metal altogether.

Gerald, some more randomness. My word verification is jSEXkgtx. Weird.

7/21/2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Since we are all friends here I am going to admit that while I did have a thing for Def Leopard and for Depeche Mode...my true love was streched between LL Cool J and any Freestyle. Sigh. Ah those Gino Beats...please don't kick my ass.

7/22/2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

LOL, why would we kick your ass? As long as you're not laughing hysterically at my taste in music, we have no problems.

7/23/2006 12:59 AM  
Blogger Justin Evans said...

Hey,

I remember reading KISS comics when I was in elementary school! They weren't mine, but they were cool!

7/23/2006 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a little late for a response, but yes, i got a thing about redheads. but wife won't do it, so i have to figure out someway to convince women to dye their hair red...

maybe i shouldn't say this when two comments above me is someone who looks suspiciously redheaded.

but you're perfectly splendid as a blonde.

7/23/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger writingblind said...

Lynn, that's a fairly recent thing. I'm still working on making poetry my bitch.

Justin, since we're friends, I'm just going to tell you: You're a nerd. But lucky for you, I love nerds. :P

Bookfraud, do you think Lynn looks like a redhead? I just assumed she was blonde. Maybe we should ask her. And I think you're splendid too, even if you won't post your picture. :)

7/24/2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

You are a lady after my own heart. I gotta tell you, though, I've dated a couple rock stars, and it isn't all it's cracked up to be. For one thing, when you're out in public, people won't leave you the hell alone. No one else exists in any room but HIM. You may just as well be invisible. And forget about getting to know him unless it's as a third party. The most I got out of it was a fetish for beards (which I blogged about a few days ago for a different reason). Sorry to burst any bubbles, but there it is.

8/01/2006 12:16 AM  
Blogger writingblind said...

LOL, that's okay. I seriously doubt any rock stars are in my future anyway. Besides, I plan to be the rock star one day anyhow.

8/01/2006 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home